Thursday, February 26, 2009

He wrote a note

One of Sam and Gabe's favorite things to do is play with their Legos. They will spend hours building space ships and boats. Then they line them up in their room like this...

Now, keep in mind, these are only a few of them. They are everywhere upstairs. While I was up there last night cleaning, I noticed a broken space ship under the couch. I picked up all the pieces and threw it in the Lego box and went on my merry way. This morning, Sam found the broken space ship and came down to my room demanding to know why I had broken it. He was so upset that his precious space ship was broken and just couldn't understand why I had put it away (where it belonged, but that's beside the point). I explained to him that it was already broken and that I found it under the couch. That didn't make him feel any better and he left the room sulking. I assumed that he had gone back upstairs to fix it. When I came out into the Living Room, I was surprised to see him at the kitchen table, drawing. I noticed that he was still sulking and asked him what he was doing. He did not reply to my question, instead, he got up out of his chair and handed me the piece of paper he had been drawing on. This is what was on it...
For those of you who do not read at the Kindergarten level, it says - "I do not like to break my Legos". I about died when I read it and then looked at his sweet face and realized that he really was upset about his broken ship. I hugged him and promised that I would never put away a broken ship again without showing it to him first and then thanked him profusely for writing me a note to let me know how he really felt. It was so sweet, I've been thinking about it all day. I'm so glad he found a constructive way to voice his feelings. I am also grateful that he was so diplomatic in the wording of the note (so like his Daddy), you'll notice he did not say "I do not like it when YOU break my Legos".
That's probably what my note would have said.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow - that's so mature for a 5/6 year old. I'm also impressed with how you handled it. I need to remember to react that way in the future with Reagan.

laura said...

Precious! I love the way he really thought about it and then wrote it out...he is learning so much!

Erin said...

Lindsay - This is Erin (Christy's friend and former nanny). I found your blog and have enjoyed catching up with you and your family. I absolutely love this entry! I am amazed at your sweet son's tender heart and the thoughtful (and mature) way that he handled his emotions. Thank you for posting such a beautiful entry as an encouragement to all of us moms.

Loy said...

I can't believe how grown up he is. You are an awesome mom to raise such great kids.