Friday, January 16, 2009

What have we been up to?

I have not been in a bloggy mood so far this new year, as you can tell. Today it is 12 degrees in Nashville, and, since it's so cold, they cancelled school. Can you believe that? I mean, I'm glad they did b/c I sure don't want to open any of my doors, much less let Sam go outside to the bus stop, but to cancel school because its so cold? Kinda weird. I'm sure the Northerners living here are rolling their eyes at all us wimpy Southerners. It makes for a four day weekend, so that's nice. Anyway, I have a list of things to do today, clean the bathrooms, do laundry, unload that pesky dishwasher, organize my junk drawer in the kitchen that I can't open. The kinds of things I can do when Sam's home from school because he and Gabe basically ignore me while they live in their fantasy Star Wars World. Unless, of course, they need a drink, food, help going to the bathroom or to show me how they can run and jump onto the recliner into a sitting position (Sam) or to tell me that his brother isn't letting him be his "made up guy" (Gabe). So am I getting all those things on my list done? Nope, I'm blogging. My friend Nicole would call that "productive procrastination" except I don't really think blogging is productive.

Here is what we have been up to lately:

*Sam lost all his "guys" on his PS3 Leggo Star Wars game last week. It was horribly traumatic when he realized they were all gone. He said "but Mommy, I worked so hard to get those guys". I called Neal begging him to figure out how to recover them, he tried, but they were gone. We are now trying to get as many of those little coins as we can so he can buy them all back, and being very careful to save, save, save. I have to admit that I think it was my fault, so I'm getting really good at Leggo Star Wars. I think Neal has been playing a little before he goes to bed too.

*Neal has been so busy at work and travelling quite a bit, so I've been on my own with the crazies. When that happens, bed time becomes around 6:30, instead of 8. Not for me, for them. Hey, at least I let them play their Leapsters until they fall asleep. And, really, they need that extra sleep...with school and it being so cold.

*I've been enjoying the return of all my favorite shows and some new ones. Grey's (I'm still giving it a shot), Private Practice (although I fast forwarded through the scenes with the CF dad and his kids on last nights episodes, couldn't handle that), The Office (I'm sorry, but that show is brilliantly funny, I LOVE it), 30 Rock (haven't seen last nights yet), Gossip Girl, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I was really going to try and give The Bachelor another shot, but in the middle of it, my friend Stacey called and told me a girl who works out at one of the YMCA's around here was on a new show called True Beauty, so I switched over to watch that. Oh my goodness, y'all, it's hysterical. It's horrible, but I couldn't turn away, I was totally sucked in and now I can't stop it. Have you seen it? Of course, I was also excited about the return of American Idol. My favorite part so far was when Ryan tried to high five the blind contestant. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

*A certain little baby turned one. But that's a post of it's own.

*I was lucky enough to see Celine Dion live in concert for the second time when my friend Stacey's husband won free tickets while he was giving blood. If you ever have a chance to see Celine live, take it, you won't be disappointed, unless you are a guy, then you might be slightly disappointed, but you would get over it because you would enjoy the lighting, video, staging and all that technical stuff.

*Neal's dad went to the ER a couple days ago and ended up having emergency surgery for some stomach problems. He will be in ICU for 3 days and then the hospital for another 3. Neal happened to be in Houston when all of this was happening, so he has been able to be there at the hospital in between working. I had a fairly intense conversation with Sam and Gabe about it. I told them Poppy had surgery on his tummy to get a boo-boo out and was totally not prepared for their reactions. My sweet, sensitive oldest child started crying, worried about his Poppy. My inquisitive, curious (3.5 year old) middle child simply asked if they had cut him in half. Huh? Thankfully, Poppy is going to be okay and we are praying for a quick recovery.

*Today was supposed to be "Hibernation Day" at Sam's school today. They were to wear their pj's, bring a flashlight and a stuffed animal that they would hide until spring. How cute is that? I was wishing I could go in for Hibernation day too! We were bummed that school was cancelled, but hopefully they will reschedule so Sam's dog "Flash" can go sleep at the school until Springtime.

*Has anyone else noticed how many birthdays come up in the months of December and January? I feel like we have had a birthday party every weekend since December. Granted, two of my kids were born in those months, I just think it's interesting.

*I can't stop listening to Jason Mraz and Colbie Caliet's song "Lucky". I've always loved Jason Mraz, but this is my new favorite song of his. Google or YouTube it to see the video or just go buy it on itunes, it's such a great song.

*Since reading the Twilight books I have been looking for something good to read and everything seems to fall short. Any suggestions from you readers out there? If you haven't read Twilight, you should. Yeah, it's about teenagers and Vampires, but it's amazing, unlike anything you could imagine. You just have to trust me.

*Did you know that you can buy bags of Sonic Ice? I buy a bag and a six pack of Diet Dr. Pepper and enjoy a cup of those two wonderful things together daily, in my house, without going to Sonic. I even drink it out of a Sonic cups that I have saved. Is that weird?

*I'm dreaming of warmer weather and planning a trip to Houston in my head as I always do this time of year.

Now, I've really got to go get something done before Neal comes home!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I totally know what you mean about being in a blogging "funk" lately. However, is just finished Twilight and am now on the second book....OMG. I'm obsessed! I find myself reading about 100 pages at one sitting...even if I have to restart the kids movie to finish the chapter. How sad is that?? I LOVE them!

Rusty and Jennifer said...

When Ryan tried to give the blind guy a high five, I thought I was going to wet my pants laughing so hard! Rusty didn't think it was that funny, so I am glad that someone shares my sense of humor!
Bags of Sonic ice are a regular at our house! $1.69 for the best ice in town!

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Loved your comment about Sonic drinks! My all-time favorite thing in the world! I also save my Sonic cup for the whole day and just add more drink to it! I did finally "cold-turkey" off Diet Coke in November. My 3rd attempt!Not near as hard as before and I'm still "diet-coke-free". (funny, but I don't feel ANY better though - was it worth it??!!) But I still LOVE the Lemonade Light at Sonic! Back in our "poor" days, Robin (my husband) and I have been on many, many dates to Sonic. We couldn't afford a baby-sitter and going out, so we hired the sitter and just went to Sonic and talked for several hours - with NO interruptions! We would get a brown-bag special and make it a date! It was WONDERFUL! No one even bothered you refilling your tea glass non-stop! LOVE SONIC! I should own stock or at least get asked to do one of those funny Sonic commercials!
Mammy