Saturday, November 10, 2007

Home Renovation Update

***warning - this post contains a lot of complaining***

Oh my goodness...what were we thinking????? Obviously, we weren't! I'm so sick of my house and our life right now. Literally, every spare moment is spent doing something, finishing one thing, to start on the next. I'll admit that this was all my big idea...I started it...I'll own up to that. I had the big idea to move the boys upstairs (actually, Sam was the one who told me he wanted his bed up there), but there is no closet upstairs. We have a 3 bedroom house with a bonus room, almost 3 kids, and a need for a guest room since we are the only people in both of our families that don't live in Texas. Moving the boys upstairs frees up their room for Luke and then we can keep the guest room...perfect. But we still needed a closet up there. Neal got going on that about 5 years ago (slight exaggeration, maybe 6 weeks ago?) and it has been slow going. Then we decided that now was the time to put in wood floors in the kitchen, something we have wanted to do for the 8 years we have been in this house. Neal got really excited about doing that because he was so sick of the closet upstairs. These projects never end up going the way you plan them too. After 50 trips to Lowes and Home Depot in one day, he finally got started 2 weeks ago. I'm happy to report that he finished them last Sunday night and they look fantastic. I spent the week with my new floors, but didn't have 2 of my cabinets, because we had to move them up to account for the height of the new floors under the fridge, they came crashing down on us, broke and we had to buy new ones. Neal finally got them up today. Then he realized that there is a leak in the water line of the fridge and freaked out because of the danger to the wood floors. He has spent ALL day trying to get that fixed, a day that was going to be spent putting shelves in the closet upstairs. We had the painters here Thursday and Friday, so shelves and moving the boys furniture is all that is left.

All this work is really starting to stress us all out, Neal and I both have little patience, especially with the boys, and in turn, they are being either extra crazy, or extra whiny. We finally decided we had to get out of the house and go do something fun, so we took them to see the Bee Movie. It was very cute, they both loved it and Neal and I enjoyed not being in our house and watching them have some fun. It's so cute seeing them looking so little in those big chairs, staring at the big screen in wonder. Tomorrow afternoon, the boys are going to play at a friends house and Neal and I are going to have a shopping date.

I'm sorry I'm being such a complainer! I really am so excited to be doing all these things. It feels so good to actually be doing stuff that we have wanted to do for year, and to have a fresh start with our house. I've gotten to do some re-decorating and re-organizing, and there is more of that to come, which I love. I can't tell you how thankful I am to my husband, who has worked so hard on all of this. He is so good at so many things! Everyone keeps telling me to take pictures, but I have to wait until everything is all put back together before I can do that. Hopefully, that will be the case by the time December rolls around. I have to say, this is really killing my normal desire to go all out decorating for Christmas, I might have to low key that this year!