Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recipe and Planet Earth

I guess I should have included the cookie recipe in the cookie post below. It's just the Nestle Toll House (please tell me someone is saying that in Phoebe's french accent, I know Carly is!) recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag. I just made a few adjustments. I always add more flour and more vanilla extract. I use real butter and I like to add a little "spice" to it with a little bit of cinnamon. If I have toffee pieces laying around, I'll add those, that is actually my favorite way to make these cookies.

My friend Carrie adds a little bit more brown sugar and says that this makes the cookies a little chewier. I've never tried that, but I'm going to. I watch them like a hawk when they are cooking and at the slightest tinge of brown, like if one cookie has a slight little brown spot, and they aren't too shiny, I pull them out of the oven and let them sit for a little bit on the cookie sheet. In my opinion, a cookie is not a good cookie if it is crunchy, it's got to be soft and chewy.

Like I said in the other post, I usually only make one batch at a time. When those are gone, I'll make another with the dough I keep in my fridge. If I happen to make all the dough, I store the cookies in a tupperware with a piece of bread. This usually gives them an extra day of freshness and keeps them from being stale.

So, nothing special really. This is just the combination I have perfected to make my perfect cookie. What about y'all? Any great cookie making tips you can share with us?


On a completely different note - have any of you seen the Planet Earth series? We watched them a few years ago and loved them. I'll never forget Neal calling me with the boys laughing in the background. They were watching the one where the little bird falls from a huge tall tree while he is learning to fly and thought it was the funniest thing. They watched it over and over again. Anyway, when I heard they were showing the series again on The Discovery Channel, I set Tivo. We just watched Shallow Seas and the boys sat here mesmorized through the whole thing.

Go check it out if you haven't yet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still just want to eat them. I never knew it was such an art form.