Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Planet Earth

As I mentioned in my post below, we have been watching The Planet Earth series on The Discovery Channel. These shows are simply breathtaking. When I was on my computer this morning, I went to read Keeping Awake's latest post. I'm sure some of you have been following her story as well and have been blessed by her beautiful writing. She was talking about how her family has been watching this series. The following is an excerpt from her blog post in regards to The Planet Earth.

I don't know what God wants for the rest of my life. Sometimes I find myself feeling suppressed, or depressed, or just anxious, as though my spirit knows there's more but my mind can't fathom what the 'more' is. I don't mean Heaven. I'm trained, as a believer, to understand that Heaven is great, Heaven is where we should want to be. But when I have absolutely zero framework for what Heaven might possibly be like, I find it difficult to imagine, much less look forward to. Isn't it odd that most of our musings on eternity focus on something more like a grandiose church service, white robes and Southern Gospel included? If the God who created the place I'm going to spend eternity also happened to create the place I'm currently residing in, wouldn't it benefit me to get a better glimpse of it than through my tinted windows as I drive 45 miles an hour to get groceries? Would it change your relationship with Jesus if you knew the place He was preparing for you was just like where you happen to live now - only redeemed, whole, new, fresh, more alive and vibrant? That when we look on these images of animals and plants and water and earth brimming with possibility, we can honestly know that, without voices like our own, each is singing a song of praise and anticipation and hope - a song that cries out for rebirth? What if you started a walk with God that began simply based on the acknowledgement of His creativity, the majesty and wonder of His works, instead of choosing to walk away from God because of a human effort to convert you? What if His message is stronger than anyone else's? What if this is all for you?

Wow. I don't have much to say, it just resonated deep within me and has given me a lot to ponder on.

Go read the whole post here.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Beautiful.

Haven't heard of this blog before. I will have to check it out. Is it warming up in Nashville yet? I miss visiting my family there. Maybe a spring trip would be nice!

Loy said...

I love it but have not a decorative bone in my body. That is why I let your mom help me with my house. What a great find though. Let us know where you end up putting it.

Loy said...

i just realized i commented on the wrong post.