Thursday, March 26, 2009

That was a close one.

I love cookies. Any cookie that doesn't have a raisin in it is one that I will eat. Years ago, after seeing the Friends where Monica wanted Phoebe's grandma's cookie recipe because she wanted to be the mom who made the best chocolate chip cookies, I decided I wanted to perfect my cookie making skills. Especially since I was going to have kids, and all those wiser, older moms say that the best time to get kids to talk to you is at the table with a yummy snack waiting for them.

I went to work finding the best possible recipe and making the changes it needed to be the perfect cookie, for me. Before we moved to the new house, I could make those cookies in my sleep, and made them quite often. Our whole family loved them and they were my staple dessert to bring to friends who just had babies.


Once we got settled into the new house, I got the craving to make my cookies. I did what I always did, but when I pulled the first batch out of the oven, I realized something had gone horribly wrong. I like my cookies to taste delicious, of course, but I also like them to look delicious. This batch did not look delicious. They looked like the flattest cookie you have ever seen with chocolate chips sticking out of them, and they didn't taste great either. I was horrified. I threw that batch and the dough away and swore off cookie baking in my new oven forever.

A few months have passed and I had the craving a few days ago. We are on a budget and it was in the evening, so I couldn't go to The Puffy Muffin and buy a box of cookies. I had a little talk with myself and decided that I was ready to try again. I watched myself very carefully as I was adding all the ingredients and I watched those cookies every minute they were cooking to find the perfect time they needed to cook in my new oven. When I pulled them out, they looked beautiful and tasted even better. Ah, sweet success! I usually make one batch at a time and store the dough in the fridge. This works out great because Neal likes the dough best and I like the cookies fresh out of the oven.

Last night, after dinner, the boys and I enjoyed perfect, fresh from the oven, chocolate chip cookies and cold milk. The best part though, was the wonderful conversation that came from that time together. Seriously, make it a rule with your kids that you only eat at the kitchen table, give them some cookies and sit down to hear what they have to say.

So, I'm proud to say that I am back in business with my mad cookie baking skills. What a relief!

We might have had to move if they had turned out badly!

And, yes, I just wrote a really long blog post about cookies.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

So now I know the REAL reason you didn't want to bring cookies to the Super Bowl party! :)

jamie b said...

I've been a lurker for a while and have never commented. I saw cookies and of course had to say something. haha I LOVE cookies too! :) Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Jaime said...

Hey Girl

Yep, we will be needing that recipe now that we're all drooling :o)

Unknown said...

I don't want the recipe - I want you to make them and me to eat them!

Carrie said...

Send me some and we'll see how good they really are. Send me some on your birthday! It will be very special!

Carly O'Quinn said...

I do love your cookies! I remember thinking that very thing in response to Monicas comment about Phoenes grandmas cookies (Nest-let...Tulle-housah). I'm not confident about my cookies, but maybe I could send them to your house when I need to get information out of them. "Off to Aunt Lindsay's for a cookie interrogation!"

Ashley McWhorter said...

Mmmmmmm.........

laura said...

Awesome! Love that you blogged about cookies! How precious to enjoy that time with your boys. We will be expecting you to make some of those delicious cookies next time you are in town...