Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Toys






About a month ago we did a huge toy purge, for the reason you are seeing in the pictures above. My boys hardly play with their toys. They have more fun getting every pillow and blanket in the house and burying each other in them, then busting out. They will line up pillows on the floor from the front door to the Living Room and walk on them, do rolls on them, or pretend they are on Crocodile Lake trying to run from the Crocs. They get their Pottery Barn mini chairs and build a fort and make doors, roofs and windows with the pillows. Or, they will make the chairs slides, or put them at the bottom of the stairs and jump onto them. Right now, they are upstairs playing in the pack and play. They've hardly touched a toy today. When we did the massive clean up, they weren't even upset at the toys we got rid of. I'm the one that feels like we have to hold on to them, and I certainly don't play with them! I did put a few baskets away, thinking I would take them out later for them to play with and when I did, they had fun for a few minutes and they were back to the pillows. So, now I'm going to get rid of those. I finally wised up and put all their toys with little pieces (leggos, magtastix, train stuff) in boxes in their closet and bring it out every once in awhile. When those were out in the play room available for them to play with whenever they wanted, they would just dump it all over the room and then walk all over it. I'm determined to be more practical about what I buy them, especially this Christmas, when I tend to go WAY overboard. It's such an easy trap to get caught up in.

4 comments:

Carly O'Quinn said...

So, so true! I'm determined that with a new baby on the way, it's time to say 'less is more' when it comes to all of those toys. Let them be creative like we were with forts and pretend play. It's easy to store a make believe castle in the closet!

Unknown said...

its true...my kids are the same way!
all they need are blankets, sheets, & pillows and they can build tents and be entertained for hours.
i try to "clean out" our toys at least once a month because we accumulate so much junk.
i've also heard its good to put some toys away for a few months..then rotate them back in...

Hendrick Family said...

I met your mom today!

laura said...

My brother and I LOVED making forts with sheets and pillows! I'm inspired by your ability to get rid of things...want to come help me at my house? :)