Thursday, August 30, 2007

Becoming Jane

Has anyone seen this yet? My friend Christy and I had a girls night out (yes, it's 10 and I'm already home, but she has a newborn!!!) tonight. We couldn't decide which movie to see...Becoming Jane or No Reservations. At the ticket counter, Christy made the call on Becoming Jane because she figured it would be a more aesthetically pleasing movie to watch on the big screen. I'd heard mixed reviews, enough to go into the movie not expecting it to be tied into a pretty bow at the end, and I'm so glad I knew that going in. I LOVED it! Of course, I have read and loved most of her books and the movies made after them. They just make me happy...there is something deep within me that just delights in that era, the clothes, the language, the imagery...I love it. The movie was alot like the others we've seen, but it should be since it was based on Jane Austen's life and how she came to write what she did. It was great...I cried...and cried...I even started crying when she started reading excerpts from Pride and Prejudice. I probably would have cried, even if I wasn't pregnant, so don't go blaming it on that!

So, if you love her books and the other movies, I suggest going to see this one. Just keep in mind that it might not end the way you would want it to end...

By the way, James McAvoy, the actor who plays Tom LaFroy, was Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We got half way through the movie wondering where else we had seen him when Christy remembered it was Mr. Tumnus. Then is was hard to not imagine him with goat legs and funny ears, but I got past it!

3 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

Ohhhh...I am glad that you liked it. Conn and I had a terrible time making it though that one. But, we stayed. We have heard mixed reviews as well. Glad you had a fun girls night. Those are always great!!!

Carly O'Quinn said...

I really want to see this too! I love period movies and getting lost in them. I usually leave thinking with a British accent. I thought that Mr. Tumnus was just as sexy as a goat man but I was always confused by the fact that he wore a scarf and nothing else in the snow...put on a sweater!

laura said...

I think I would have enjoyed it more if someone had prepared me for it. I love those "period movies," but I expected it to be like her novels, and it was totally different. The scenery was beautiful though!